What a year it has been!
2017 was an incredibly exciting year for us here at Careem. We’re tremendously grateful to our Captains, Colleagues, Customers and Community who contributed to our success and growth, which will serve as an inspiration for an even more impactful 2018.
As we head into the new year, we wanted to take a look back at what we’ve accomplished as we prepare for even bigger initiatives in 2018.
This past year, we reached over 15 million customers in 90+ cities across 14 countries. At the same time, our platform grew to include more than 500,000 Captains and over 2,000 employees across the region. Our partners, customers, Captains and community believed in Careem since day one and our tremendous growth this year is a testament to how far we have come.
Who runs the world?
One of the biggest initiatives we’ve tackled this year is women empowerment. Women in our region represent a huge untapped potential and empowering them allows us to drive growth, productivity and innovation. At the beginning of the year, we launched our Careem Women Empowerment and Engagement Network (CWEEN) program which focuses on ensuring equal job opportunities, flexibility and transparency for our female talent pool. Through it, we have:
- Increased maternity leave from 45 days to 3 months
- Started training leaders in unconscious bias
- Made our hiring process more gender balanced by using the Rooney Rule, where at least one female candidate is shortlisted and one female senior leader is on the interview panel
- Ensured that almost 50% of recent hires at the GM level and above have been women
We also introduced different campaigns to support women in the region. In Egypt and Pakistan, we launched a breast cancer car type, in partnership with Baheya Hospital and Pink Ribbon respectively, to raise donations for women affected by breast cancer. With the generosity of our customers, we were able to raise thousands for the cause! In Saudi Arabia, when the Royal Decree allowing women to drive was announced, we announced our willingness to open our platform for Captinahs (Women Captains) and we registered over 2,000 women in the first two weeks.
Careem by nature
As a homegrown company, we understand and cater to the local needs of each market we operate in. Our mission is to improve and simplify the lives of people, so we are always working towards moving the region towards better living. We strive to do this through initiatives such as:
- Launching our UNHCR car type in UAE, Saudi Arabia and Jordan to raise donations for refugees in the region
- Launching our Careem Kids car type with children’s car seats in and Assist car type for people of determination in Abu Dhabi
- Creating The Children’s Foundation car type to collect donations to help provide education to underprivileged children in Pakistan. We raised RS 1.9 million in donations!
Enjoying the ride
As we continue to move our region forward, it’s important to remember to have some fun! We launched a few campaigns that we thought were bound to put a smile on your face. Some of these were:
- Our Bakra (goat) on Wheels campaign in Pakistan, where customers were able to book a free ride during Eid by selecting the Bakra car type and we brought bakras to their location for purchase from the Goats for Water organization
- Our Rishta Aunty campaign, also in Pakistan, where our customers met with a matchmaker during their Careem ride
- Our holiday contest in the UAE, where we gave out 20 free turkey lunches and held a Turkey lunch for our Captains
And lastly, as we strive to build an inspiring institution, it’s important to encourage entrepreneurship in the region. We invested in local Egyptian start-up Swvl to bring low-cost transportation options to the people of Egypt and it marked our first investment in another start-up. We also launched Dukkan Careem to offer culturally-inspired designs by our region’s boldest creators.
Thank you for an amazing year. We can’t wait to see what 2018 brings!