Captains are the heart of Careem, and we appreciate and value your selfless service to our customers and communities in these unprecedented times. We understand that many of you rely on Careem as a single source of income to provide for your loved ones, and we are here to support you and your family in times of need.
That’s why we are providing sick pay financial support for 14 days to any Careem Captain who is diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19) or placed in individual quarantine by a public health authority in any of the markets where Careem operates.
Careem is always here to support you.
Sick Pay Policy – FAQ
1) What is Careem’s Sick Pay Policy?
If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 or individually asked to self-isolate by a public health authority due to the risk of you spreading COVID-19, Careem will provide you with 14 days of financial support.
We realise this situation is changing fast and we expect it will continue to do so in the near future. To ensure we are responsive to this reality, this policy is effective until May 31, 2020, at which time Careem will re-evaluate the situation.
2) What is the criteria for Captains to receive this financial support?
The Sick Pay Policy applies to all Careem Captains (Ride-hail Captains and Captains delivering food or items), and you must have performed at least 1 trip with Careem before 25 February, 2020. You are eligible if any of the following situations occur:
- You are formally diagnosed with COVID-19 by a public health authority;
- You are placed in an individual quarantine by a public health authority;
- You are personally asked by a public health authority or licensed medical provider to self-isolate due to your risk of spreading COVID-19.
- Your account is temporarily suspended by Careem at our discretion as a result of information provided by a public health authority that you have been diagnosed or have been exposed to someone who was diagnosed with COVID-19.
3) How much financial support will Careem provide for sick pay?
Captains will receive financial support for 14 days, and this will be based on each Captain’s average earnings over the last six months. If you have been a Captain for less than six months, your average earnings will be based on how much you have earned in the time between your first trip and March 25, 2020.
4) How do Captains submit claims for the Sick Pay Policy?
Please submit your claim through the Captain App as follows:
- Captain App > Main menu > Support > Personal Safety > Paid Pay request – Covid > Please submit your request for 14 day sick pay with attached documents outlined below.
5) What documents do you need to provide Careem to process your claim request?
- A photo of your National ID (Front and Back).
- Documents from a licenced medical provider or public health authority with a diagnosis of COVID-19; OR
- An order by a licenced medical provider or public health authority requiring you to self-isolate due to your risk of spreading COVID-19. The documentation must specifically reference your individual risk of spreading COVID-19.
*If a public health authority directly notifies Careem that one of our Captains has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or was exposed to the virus, we will automatically support the Captain by enrolling them in our financial support program for sick pay.
6) When will Captains receive sick pay financial support?
After we confirm eligibility, in most instances you will receive the financial support for sick pay in your Captain Wallet within 7 business days. We will work to make sure our Captains receive support as soon as possible.
7) How much time do Captains have to register for sick pay financial support?
You will be able to file a claim for financial support for up to 30 days after the date of your diagnosis or the date when your individual quarantine came into effect.
8) What happens to Captains that are eligible for sick pay financial support?
If you’re eligible for financial support, Careem will have to temporarily block your account for your safety and the safety of others throughout the 14 day period in which you are on sick pay. In order to limit the risk of spreading COVID-19 to others, you will be unable to complete rides or deliveries. Your Captain account will be reinstated once you are cleared by a PHO (Physician-Hospital Organisation).
9) What is the duration of this financial support policy?
This policy is effective until May 31, 2020, at which time we will reassess the situation.
Please stay safe and know that Careem is always here for you incase you need any support..